Friday, February 23, 2007

Forest of Dean

The forest is an important marginal seat which we just lost to the Tories last time and want to win back. We've just picked an excellent local candidate in Bruce Hogan and it was a pleasure to be asked to give an NEC report at the General Management Committee on Friday.

The drive down was a real pain - it took two and half hours to do 80 miles but I managed to get there just on time. There was a good mix of questions and feedback. With a lot of interest in questions about funding, policy making, better use of IT and the mechanics of the deputy leadership election.

There does seem to be an injustice that any Councillor on state benefit has their Council expenses deducted pound for pound from their benefit but we still expect them to pay the full subscription and I promised to raise this.

The point was also made that we need to be much more imaginative in how we use electronic communication.
I think the policy making process could be much more outgoing in approaching members for their opinions. If anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know.

Glyn Ford MEP raised the interesting point about Gibraltar being in his European constituency and how we can involve them more and I'll be working on this.

Anyway, it was good to get down to Gloucester and we had a good pint in the Cinderford Mines Welfare afterwards and thanks to Isabel for putting me up.

As ever if other CLPs want to invite me just give me a ring - 07880 790182
Visit the Forest of Dean Labour Party website at: http://www.forestofdeanlabour.org/

No comments: