Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Tiverton & Honiton

Friday 5th October saw me taking the short trip to Ottery St Mary in Devon to do a fundraising dinner for the CLP. It’s the first time I've done one of these so I'm a bit nervous. The drive down is about five and a half hours so I've taken the day off work. When I get there I find no room in the inn - all the rooms are taken but I manage to book a room in an Indian takeaway restaurant - another first!

There's nearly 40 people at the dinner - a really nice crowd of people with good support from Exeter - the neighbouring marginal seat. Its also the launch meeting for Vernon - the Parliamentary candidate. Vernon seems like an excellent candidate to me - former Police Officer and current Town Council Mayor - a real asset to the Party.

The food and company are excellent but then I have to sing for my supper! I give a report on how the NEC works and the current political situation. There were lots of questions and genuine interest and it was good to see party members keen in what is clearly a difficult area. Thanks to Alf for arranging things and I hope to be back before long.

No comments: